Monday, January 19, 2009

Unit 1 Part 2 Research Log Entry

  1. 1.What question did you try to answer?
    What is the tectonic cycle?

    2.What terms did you select to begin?
    Tectonic cycle

    3.What web search engine or engines did you use?
    Yahoo, Google and Msn

    4.Search techniques
    a.What search terms did you use?
    I used the words "Tectonic Cycle" and "Cycle Tectonic"
    b.What search techniques did you try?
    I tried taking out the beginning portion of my phrase which included the word "The" since it wasn't necessary.

    5.Evaluation
    a.How did you evaluate your results?
    I distinguish them by the search engine that provided a wider selection to choose from
    b.What conclusions did you draw about the different search engines?
    I've come to notice that Yahoo always has the most results out of the others search engines I've tried in the past. When I tend to search yahoo they give me results but the million and nearly 10 thousands and up more than other search engines. Google comes in second then the rest.
    Consider
    i. what was the same?
    The majority of the results in each engine were similar.
    ii. what was different?
    The order of which site came first was the difference.
    iii. Differences in numbers of results
    Yahoo: 1,630, 000
    Google: 1,200,000
    MSN: 336,000
    iv. etc.
    c.Why do you think the search engines behaved as they did?
    I believe the search engines acted the way they did because yahoo is the more favored search engine in my mind. Alot more people use it rather than google or MSN, although it does suprise me that google wasn't the top one. Since yahoo is the most used it should have a wider selection.

    6.What other questions came into your mind as you carried out this exercise?
    I wonder if I am correct about what I suggested about yahoo being the most used engine thus making it the most popular.


  2. 1.What is Delicious?
    An online service that keeps tracks of web bookmarks


    2.What is the advantage of this Web 2.0 tool?
    Easy to manage bookmark, your also able to tag your saved webpages. It's makes life easier on the web and much quicker so you don't to go through all the other steps.


    3.Do you think you might use it? If so, why? If not, why not?
    I would like to use it but I'm more of a simple computer person, I go through everything step by step without needing to complain but maybe in the future I might try it so it can get me through my task alot faster!

1 comment:

  1. Good analysis on the search engine exercise. Not only that, you question your own opinions in your final question, which is GREAT. That leads you to better research every time. In 2007, yahoo revamped its site and claimed that it would give you more results than google and from what I've seen since then, it would appear to be true (I haven't conducted a true research experiment, just observed the results I and my students retrieve). The bigger question, I think, is why we needed more when results were already in the millions.

    Each search engine must know how many hits they get because of advertising dollars (all hits are counted, I'm sure), but whether they know how many hits each other gets, I don't know. Probably not, due to competitive intelligence, but it makes it difficult to answer your question. As we move through this class, you'll find that there are other places to look to find information that will be less voluminous than the web and that will be good.

    As for delicious, the big advantage for me is that I can get to my bookmarks from any computer, not just the one on which I save a particular bookmark.

    Good work.

    ReplyDelete