Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Subject or Discipline-Based Databases
Unit 4, Part 2

1. What is the main subject of your question?
The plate tectonic theory

2. What subject guide or guides did you use to identify the relevant databases for your question? I used the subject guide of Geology


Database 1
1. Which database did you choose for your search?
For my first seach I used the GEOBASE basic search

2. What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
I type into the keyword box "Plate tectonic theory"

3. How many results did you retrieve?
And a result of 188

4. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
For more specific and fewer results I revised my keywords and added the word "earth" at the beginning to make it more specific. "Earth plate tectonic theory"

5. Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
I recieve a result of 58 after revising and I distinguished whether they meaningful by reviewing the titles then briefly reading the descriptons.

6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article).
Title: Origin of the ocean and continents: A unified theory of the Earth
Author: Deming D.
Publication Type: Journal
Content Type: Article
Entry: 2002-08-29
Database: GEOBASE

7. How did you determine these articles were meaningful?
I read the abstract description and the information present responded the topic I had in mind.


Database 2
1. Which database did you choose for your search?
For the second search I used the EBSCOhost database.

2. What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
I entered "Plate" and "tectonic" and "theory."

3. How many results did you retrieve?
I retrieved a result of 898.

4. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
I used the helpful links to my left my computer and chose the link that read "lithospere" which then narrowed the reselt down to 129.

5. Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
I read through the descriptive title to see which corresponded with the plates and the ground.

6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article).
Title: Mechanics of non-Andersonian conjugate strike-slip faults in active collisional orogens; observations, theories, and implications for laterally moving asthenospheric flow
Authors: Yin, An; Taylor, Michael H.
Publisher: Geological Society of America (GSA) : Boulder, CO, United States
Country of Publication: United States
Publication Date: October 2007
Collation: 1 p. 130

7. How did you determine these articles were meaningful?
I determined this article was meaningful because I clicked the link for lithosphere which is within the earth interior dealing with ground whereas the other aticles focused on other thinngs not related to my topic.

1 comment:

  1. You did a good job on these; however, you need to remember that EBSCOHost is a "platform" not a database. If you open up a database on the EBSCOHost platform and click on "choose databases" near the top of the screen, you will see that there are many databases on this platform. I can't even tell which one you used in this case. If it was Academic Search Premier, that's a general database, not a subject-specific one. On the subject pages, there is often a mix of subject database and general databases.

    ReplyDelete