Friday, February 6, 2009

Unit 3 Part 2
Library Catalog/ Information Cycle/ Reference Works

  1. Which of your questions did you try to answer?
    What are plate tectonics?

  2. What EXACT terms did you enter into the keyword search screen?
    I used the words "Plate" AND "tectonics" which gave me a result of 170.

  3. What subject heading did you choose to be sure your item was on target and the best option for your search?
    Well I first chose the first result from my keyword search which was titled Formation and applications of the sedimentary record in arc collision zones, which then led me to click the similar items tab. I then chose the subject heading 'Plate Tectonic'. I felt it was best since it was exactly what I have chosen for my keyword search.

  4. What item did you eventually choose? Why?
    I eventually chose the book title Biogeography and plate tectonics because it sounded as if it were to give just the basic explanation of what plate tectonic are and then some.

  5. Give the bibliographic information for the item you chose.
    Title: Biogeography and plate tectonics
    Author: John C. Briggs
    Edition: N/A
    Place of publication: Amsterdam ; New York ; U.S.A: Elsevier
    Publisher: Elsevier Science Pub. Co
    Date of publication: 1987

  6. When you looked at the reference work, what quote did you choose? Why?
    I chose the quote "Plate tectonics" because those were my key words and I figured it would give me the information I was aiming for and grant me the basic background without irrelavent information I didnt need.

  7. What makes this a reference book as opposed to a regular book you might find in the book stacks?
    The reference books are specific to the topic I was searching for and they have indepth information to my search rather than regular books in the stack.

  8. In looking at the material in the book and the publication date in the bibliographic information, what year do you think the information really comes from?
    The information could have came from hundreds and hundreds of years ago since reseach take relativley a large amount of time to consume information and accurate information at that.

1 comment:

  1. First, it's great to see you using good search terms and following through on subject headings.

    The book you chose is certainly on topic, which is good, but it's not a reference title. To find a reference title, you would need to combine your search terms with "reference collection" which is in the "location" drop down menu of the advanced keyword search screen. If you had searched

    plate
    AND tectonics
    combined with "reference collection"

    you would get 2 results.

    The Encyclopedia of structural geology and plate tectonics
    New York : Van Nostrand Reinhold, c1987

    Mesozoic and Cenozoic paleocontinental maps
    Smith, A. Gilbert (Alan Gilbert), 1937-
    Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1977

    Both are in the reference collection because they are books you consult rather than books you check out and read cover to cover. Often, a reference book will contain entries in alphabetical order or lists of entries that you might use to find other books, and so on.

    As for the book you did choose, I had hoped you would find it on the shelves and select a quote from the book itself. I think you misinterpreted the question.

    The material in the book may cover events that happened hundreds of years ago, but the state of knowledge of this subject is more related to the publication date. The book you chose was published in 2003. The information was probably gathered and written in about 2000 or 2001.

    ReplyDelete