- a.) Author- Kurzman, Dan
b.) Title - Disaster! :
the great San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906
c.) Edition - 1st Edition
d.) Place of publication - New York : W. Morrow, c2001
e.) Publisher - N/A
f.) Date of publication - 2001 - Location: Bookstacks
Call Number: F869.S357 K87 2001
Status: On The Shelf - Subject Heading:
-San Francisco Earthquake and Fire, Calif., 1906
-Earthquakes -- California -- San Francisco -- History -- 20th century
-Fires -- California -- San Francisco -- History -- 20th century
-San Francisco (Calif.) -- History -- 20th century - San Francisco Earthquake and Fire, Calif., 1906
Entries: 2 - a) It didn't give me an actual number of the results but I had more pages than the keyword search which gave me two pages with 57 results.
b) As I examined the the subect heading it did indeed give me a more specific search result rather than the keyword search. It gave me a wider selection and more specific range with titles and wordings
c) I believe this occured because of the the adavanced keyword search lead it to the subject heading search which went more indepth and deeeper. - The difference between a keyword search and a subject heading search is that the keyword search sparks and starts off the search from the ground up whereas the subject heading has results within itself already so it works its way up from there which can intesify the search and go more indepth from there
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Unit 3 Part 1 Assignment
The Library Catalog
Research log Entry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You seem to see the value of subject headings, which is great. One thing I don't understand, though. You write: "It didn't give me an actual number of the results but I had more pages than the keyword search which gave me two pages with 57 results."
ReplyDeleteEvery search in the catalog provides a number of results in your results set. There must have been a number somewhere. You told me that there were 2 entries in the subject headings results. That would be the book that you came from plus one other new one.
So, I'm not clear where you thought there was no number. Your keyword search? You didn't give me your keyword search terms, so I'm unable to figure out what's missing here.
As for the difference between keywords and subject headings, it's very true that keywords can spark you search, but the difference is that keywords initiate a machine search while subject headings are pre-structured headings and assigned by a person. A human being reads the book and assigns one of these pre-structured headings. As a result, as more librarians read more books, if they are on the same topic, they will be given the same pre-structured heading. You can go and look at the list of subject headings at the reference desk (5 volumes) to see what I mean.